Has it really been 3 months since my last post? CRAZY! A lot has happened in 3 months! I won’t bore you with all the details however, one very special event for our family was my daughter’s first birthday. I had a lot of fun sewing up a few outfits and decorations for a little photoshoot and for her small party with family. I also made a coordinating outfit for her bunny! Since having our baby girl, sewing has been such a great way to relax after she goes to bed…or after she’s awake from 2am to 3am and I’m wide awake and need something to do.
For the bunting, I used a FREE bunting pattern here. I wanted to make it as quick as possible so I just cut out the triangles (for the pink one I used the 6″ triangle and for the purple I used the 4″ triangle) and kept the edges raw. On the back of each triangle I put a 1/2″ strip of fusible interfacing along the top edge to decrease any puckering in the fabric. After that, I wedged the triangles in-between a long piece of bias tape and sewed a straight line all the way across the tape. Done. Super easy!
For the diaper cover I used an awesome free pattern from MADE Everyday. You can find the video tutorial here.
I purchased the plain white bib from Carter’s (it came in a pack of 5) and then I appliquéd it! I applied “heat n’ bond” to the wrong side of the fabric and cut out my desired shapes. After fusing the shapes to the bib, I sewed around the edges of the fabric to secure them in place. You can find a tutorial that explains this process in detail here.
For the skirt I used another fabulous MADE Everyday tutorial which you can find here. I did a rolled hem on each layer of the skirt with my serger.
The plain white onesies were purchased at Wal-Mart (they came in packages of 2). I used Premie Size for the bunny and size 3-6 months for my teeny tiny daughter! I appliquéd the cupcakes to the onesies.
I used a simple yet cute headband tutorial from Create Kids Couture. You can find it here.
I LOVED how it all turned out however, the appliqué only lasted for the day! The edges of the fabric frayed! Luckily, I only really needed the outfit for one day so it didn’t really matter. Next time, I’ll need to use a zig zag/satin stitch instead of a straight stitch to secure the appliquéd pieces to the bib and onesies.
Until next time,