Even though I currently live in the USA with my husband, we’re both Canadians and love our Toronto Blue Jays! My amazing and dear friend is having a baby boy at the end of March and like us, her and her husband are big Jays fans! For baby shower gifts lately, I’ve been trying to purchase something off the registry and also make a little something from the heart. I really enjoyed making this project and my friend loved it!
Below is my tutorial on how I printed on fabric to create the logo. If you’d like to try this technique you’ll need the following materials:
- Printer (I have the Brother ink-jet printer)
- Printer paper
- White cotton fabric
- Freezer paper
- Fusible interfacing
Unfortunately the interfacing, paper, fabric and freezer paper are all white so it’s difficult to see the different layers in my photos. Feel free to message me if you have any questions.
***As with most crafty experiments, there’s a risk factor! I tried this out and it worked well with my printer but I cannot guarantee it will work on all printers.***
Step 1: Choose the image you’d like to print. Print it out to test that it’s the right size. (I printed in black and white for the test.)
Step 2: Cut out white fabric large enough to print on. (You can see the white fabric behind the black and white test sheet shown above. I was ensuring that it was the right size.)
Step 3: Cut and iron on the interfacing to the white fabric. (This prevents the fabric from fraying once you cut out your logo.) Always use a cheesecloth or scrap fabric overtop of the interfacing while ironing.
Step 4: Cut and iron on Freezer Paper on top of the interfacing you just applied. (This adds stiffness to the fabric so it can move through the printer.)
Step 5: Tape the fused fabric/interfacing/freezer paper sheet to your test sheet of printing paper. (Freezer paper side down, fabric facing up so you can print on it.)
Step 6: Place it into the printer accordingly.
Step 7: Print in colour.
Step 8: Peel off the Freezer paper and cut out your logo.
Step 9: Attach logo onto your project. (I used a needle and thread.)
I also made this adorable Boston Red Sox hat for another friend having a boy in April!
To make the hat and diaper cover I followed a crochet pattern I purchased on Esty from AvaGirlDesigns. I usually make Amigurumi items, not clothing, so the pattern was a bit tricky to follow at first. After googling some new stitches and experimenting a little, I got the hang of it! I used a larger hook than the pattern recommended (I used size 5. the pattern recommended 4) and I still feel the hat is a little small. Luckily the yarn stretches so I’m hopeful it will still fit for newborn photos.
For a link to the baseball buttons I used on the diaper cover click here.
To learn how to make the “Self Binding Baby Blanket” shown in the background, see a previous blog post here.
I really enjoyed making this project – let me know if you try it too or have any feedback!