I recently discovered “Hobby Lobby” aka. “heaven-on-earth” when I was in Florida. (they don’t have the Hobby Lobby chain in Ontario, Canada as far as I know.) I fell in love with the “Mayberry St.”miniature products and purchased this little teddy bear. I wasn’t sure how I’d use the little bear but once I put him in the arms of this little mouse, it was meant to be. The bow even matched!
I purchased the mouse pattern from sewsillylily on Etsy. I used a 3.5mm hook and 8mm safety eyes. I put pipe cleaners in the arms and legs before attaching them to the body. Instead of stitching on the legs like the pattern says, I crocheted them on as I was completing the 4th round. (See my post called “Valentine’s Day Dog” for more details about that – it’s a simple technique that saves time and looks seamless!)
For the little pink nose I tried something new and busted out my needle felting supplies! (a foam board and a single needle felting needle – also from Hobby Lobby.)
I really had no plan in mind for the nose. I tied a few knots and then stabbed it into a tiny ball shape. It worked out well.
I decided to pull one of the pink yarn ends through the project in a way that made a tiny mouse-like line under the nose.
The pipe cleaners in the arms worked well to help him hold the teddy tight.
I made this penguin for my friend Diane who I met in Edmonton, Alberta. She is a big fan of the Edmonton Oilers so I thought I’d use that theme for this project. I loved how it turned out.
To find the pattern, I googled “Amigurumi Penguin” and a lot of search results came up! The pattern I chose was this one by “rheatheylia” but I altered it slightly to make the head/body smaller (I didn’t want to make a huge penguin.) I used a 5mm hook for the head/body.
Reducing the size of the pattern was harder than I expected! (If anyone has any tips on how to quickly reduce or enlarge amigurumi patterns please send them my way!) I didn’t want to reduce the pattern any further so for the wings, beak, and tummy, I stuck to the original pattern but used a smaller 3.5mm hook instead of the 5mm one. For the feet, I made little orange circles. It worked out well. Yay!
For eyes, I used 12mm safety eyes with some white felt behind them. I ordered the eyes from “Lisa and Ed’s Eyes and More.”
*HELPFUL TIP!: With most amigurumi projects, you have to do a little bit of hand stitching. For this project, I stitched on the beak, wings, tummy and feet. I find “Crochet Dude’s Bent End Yarn Needles” to be a great tool to help conceal the stitches. The bent end allows me to easily stitch hard to reach places. There’s also a sharp point on the tip of the needle that helps push through those really tight 3.5mm stitches. (Great idea Crochet Dude!) I purchased these at Michael’s.
I’m sending this little cupcake in the mail for my friend Katie who’s birthday is coming up! I found a free pattern at Bittersweetblog.com – thanks! (See previous reblog to see the pattern.) I liked the ruffled edge that I recently learned how to do by stitching 5 double crotchets in one stitch.
I hand stitched on different coloured “seed beads” for sprinkles. I used 6mm safety eyes and stitched on the smile with some black embroidery floss.
I used a 3.5mm hook to complete this project.